University of Catania, one of the oldest University in Italy, founded in 1434, with more than 65,000 students. Within UNICT, the Department Civil Engineering and Architecture gathers competencies in the area of civil engineering and architecture and hosts Master Degree Courses in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Building Engineering and Architecture and a PH. D. course in Urban risk Assessment and Mitigation. The Courses are attended by more than 1500 students. Particularly, programs about Geographical Information Systems and Planning are developed within the MSc courses of “Build Engineering and Architecture” and “Architecture” and the PhD course in “Urban risk Assessment and Mitigation”.
DICAR has two scientific libraries, high speed LAN and Wi-Fi internet connections, subscriptions the most important full scientific databases.
The Department facilities include several research laboratories. Particularly, the “Laboratorio per la Pianificazione Territoriale e Ambientale” (LAPTA) operates in the field of urban and landscape planning, GIS, regional sustainability, environmental and transportation analysis. LAPTA includes the most important software suites for GIS and remote sensing, such as ESRI ARCGis 10.2 and ERDAS Imagine Professional Suite, as well as appropriate hardware equipment. The presence of such a number of facilities will allow carrying out the research effectively.
UNICT have participated in the last years in hundreds of projects belonging to the main European Research and Cooperation Programs (i.e. ERASMUS+, FP6, FP7, HORIZON 2020). Among the many research fields are included: sustainable planning, climate change, integration between planning and transportation systems, biodiversity and ecosystems services, environmental sciences, information and communication technology, historical heritage conservation.
Role in the project
UNICT will lead and manage the project, offering the following contributions:
- management of the project
- the survey of stakeholders and together with partners develop competence framework for SECM graduates.
- management and scientific support for the development of customized curricula;
- scientific support for setting up updated contents of new activated courses for MSc ;
- organization of seminars and workshops for presentation of new activated curricula;
- organization of local dissemination events;
- development of didactic material and syllabus for new activated modules;
- setting up activities and lectures for e-learning platform;
- editing the final book about the project’s results;
- organization of the first and final conferences;
- MSc student exchanges with GIS, Remote Sensing, Environmental Engineering through Technologies courses.